Turkish Citizenship: A Complete Guide for Foreigners
In this guide, we will provide you with a comprehensive overview of Turkish citizenship, including its eligibility requirements, the application process, and the benefits of becoming a Turkish citizen.
As the world is becoming increasingly interconnected, it is no surprise that people are now seeking citizenship in different countries. Turkey, with its rich history, vibrant culture, and strategic location, has become a popular choice for many foreigners looking to obtain a second passport.
Introduction to Turkish Citizenship
Turkey, located at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, is a country with a rich history and diverse culture. Its strategic location has made it a hub for trade and commerce, attracting people from all over the world. In recent years, Turkey has become an attractive destination for foreign investors and entrepreneurs looking to expand their business in the region.
Eligibility Requirements for Turkish Citizenship
To be eligible for Turkish citizenship, you must meet certain criteria set by the Turkish government. These requirements include:
- Investing at least $500,000 in a Turkish company or real estate
- Creating jobs for at least 50 Turkish citizens
- Depositing at least $500,000 in a Turkish bank for three years
Citizenship by Marriage
- Being married to a Turkish citizen for at least three years
- Continuously living in Turkey for at least three years
Citizenship by Birth
- Being born in Turkey to foreign parents who were legally residing in Turkey at the time of your birth
Citizenship by Residence
- Residing in Turkey for at least five years with a valid residence permit
Application Process for Turkish Citizenship
Once you have met the eligibility requirements for Turkish citizenship, you can start the application process. The process includes the following steps:
- Preparing the Required Documents: You need to gather all the required documents, such as your passport, birth certificate, and marriage certificate (if applicable).
- Submitting the Application: You can submit your application to the Turkish consulate in your home country or to the local migration office in Turkey.
- Review of Application: The Turkish government will review your application and may request additional information or documents.
- Background Check: The Turkish government will conduct a background check to ensure that you have no criminal record.
- Approval: If your application is approved, you will receive a Turkish citizenship certificate.
Benefits of Turkish Citizenship
Becoming a Turkish citizen comes with several benefits, including:
- Visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to over 110 countries
- The ability to live, work, and study in Turkey without a visa
- Access to the Turkish healthcare system
- The ability to own property in Turkey
- The opportunity to invest in Turkey’s growing economy
Obtaining Turkish citizenship can be a great opportunity for those looking to expand their business, invest in the country’s economy, or simply experience its rich culture and history. With its strategic location, vibrant culture, and growing economy, Turkey is an attractive destination for foreigners looking to obtain a second passport.
- Can I keep my original citizenship if I become a Turkish citizen?
- Yes, Turkey allows dual citizenship, so you can keep your original citizenship.
- How long does the application process take?
- The application process can take up to 12 months, depending on the type of citizenship you are applying for.
- Do I need to speak Turkish to become a Turkish citizen?
- No, there is no language requirement for Turkish citizenship. However, knowing Turkish may help with the application process and daily life in Turkey.
- Can I apply for Turkish citizenship if I am a refugee in Turkey?
- Yes, refugees who have been residing in Turkey for at least five years can apply